Looking for help with playing backup Ps1 games

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Lestat17, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie here. I bought a used Modded PS2 Slim version 75001 flip top. I don't know what mod chip I have in it. I have no problems playing backups of PS2 games, dvd or cd (memorex). I am having problems playing backups of PS1 games. I sometimes go to browser, or a black screen with normally start up. If I press the reset button twice from stand by I get a message saying insert Playstation 2 format disc. I have tried for 3 days searching this site on how to start up my ps2 to play my backup ps1 games with no luck. I found a page with different mod chip solutions and tried the ones I could. I don't have a game shark or any swap discs. I am asking on how to find out which chip I have? Or a way to start my ps1 games. I want to say thank you in advance for any help or advice given. This is a great site, which I have used before to find answers.

2. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Well one way is too open up the PS2 and see what chip you have installed.

Another is to try different shortcut keys to see if it has a bootmanager, like say Matrix infinity is too press Triangle and it will tell you.
    Or Hold Triangle and Circle when booting up to go to configuration menu.

Same as pressing circle when booting up goes to PS1 mode.

For the DMS4 its R1 to go to Toxic Os menu.

Each modchip has its own shortcuts, so hard to say which to try.

How did you burn your PS1 backup?

That could be the issue also.

3. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

HI,

Thank you for replying to my post. I am afraid to open up the ps2 so I don't know what chip I have. I did try your suggestions on shortcuts and mostly got there is no data, browser and 1 went to a blue disc icon. The way I burn my games is Alcohol 120, Nero or DVD Decrypter. Do you know of any websites that list mod shortcuts? Also can I narrow the search by what version of ps2 I have? My ps2 version is scph - 75001. Once again thanks you.

4. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

There is quite a few modchips your PS2 could have.

Duo Ultra 3, DMS4 SE Pro, Crystal Chip 2.0, ChipMod Pro+ 2.0, ModBo V4, ModBo 745 are the most likely.

I don't really know of one page with all the Boot Procedures for each, but you could google each one I guess.

Are you not able to ask who you bought it from what type of chip it has?

5. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

HI,

I have tried for a couple of days to get a hold of the guy I bought it from and he doesn't return my calls. So I found someone who will look at it for me for $10.00 to tell me which one it is. Once again thanks for your help.

This site rocks.

6. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

Hi,

I found out what chip I have. It's a Super 7 E17 modchip. I haven't be able to find any info on playing ps1 games. I did read it can play PS1 imports though.

Thank you for any info or advice.

7. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok it says it autodetects everything, and plays imports or backups.

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/3465100/Super7_E17_PS2_chipset_modchip.html

You can try pressing Trinagle + Circle when booting up to see if it goes to configuration when booting up

Then if you can, turn off macrovision and see if the PS1 backup will work then.

Otherwise it may be you need to check how you burned the PS1 game.
    http://www.xtreme-source.com/tutorials-playstation-2/1824-how-backup-psx-ps2-cd-rom-games.html

If none of that works, try playing a burned DVD movie(just an .avi or divx) to make sure the chip is working.

8. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

Hi,

I did the Triangle and Circle button thing and it didn't work. I got there isno data.

Tried a dvd and got the there is no data.

I don't know what else to try.

Thank you once again.

9. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Ok I actually forgot you said it could play PS2 backups no problem.

But anyway I found this info for the Super 7 E-16, so maybe the E-17 is the same.

Current Version Operation mode :

- Play all kinds of PS2 games and DVD movies :
    1. Open cover and insert PS2 CD/DVD disc or any region DVD movies.
    2. Close cover and press Reset button once to play game or watching movie.

- Play all kinds of PS1 games and DVD movies :
    1. Press Reset button, then open cover and insert PS1 CD disc or audio CD.
    2. Close cover and press Reset button twice to play game or listen music.

- Sleep mode function ( play original disc or On-line games ) :
    1. Holding Reset button from standby until picture display on TV then release.
    2. Open cover and insert original PS1/PS2 disc, press Reset button once to play.

http://ps2mods.eu/images/Super-7 E16/Super-7 E16 User's Guide.jpg

10. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

Hi,

Sorry to say your suggestions with the other modchip didn't work. Might try to find a ps1 that is modded. Thank you for your help.

11. VWatts

VWatts Regular member

Lestat17, i have a super7 modchip. You press the reset button atleast 3x in succession to play ps1 games.

12. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I tried your idea and all I got was a red background saying insert a ps1 or ps2 game.

13. VWatts

VWatts Regular member

Did you do it in a quick fast motion?

The way i do it. I turn on my ps2 without any disk. The ps2 browser should come out. At that point i put in the ps1 disk. And press the reset/power 3x in quick/rapid motion.

I know other people with super7 modchips that does it this way. So, if it doesnt work maybe you have a different kind of modchip.

14. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

Hi,

I always put the game in first. Maybe that is where I am going wrong. I will try your advice again. Thank you for the instructions. Will let you know what happens.

15. Lestat17

Lestat17 Member

HI,

I tried your advice but nothing happened. I got the red back ground again, saying insert a ps1 or ps2 game. I tried my ps1 game on a friends ps2 and it worked fine, at least I know know it is not the disc. I paid someone to look at modchip and that is the one he told me I had. Super 7 E17. So, I don't know what to try next.

Thank you for your help.

16. bezussj

bezussj Member

Hi lestat.

Youve said a flip top, so im assuming you mean the mod that allows you to change disc without the PS2 detecting it.

I have a slimline PS2 and have it modded for use with Swap Magic, so mine does the same thing.

Here in the UK we have a disc called "exploder", which is a cheat system for PS1, and is a valid disc. It costs about 10 GBP.

If you can get hold of a copy, it has a built in media player. Use the media player to play about 10 seconds form the first track of the exploder cd (its the data track on the disc, so you will only get silence) then hit stop. When you do, the disc will stop spinning.

Swap it for your back-up of a PS1 game and then hit start. this will take you back to the main menu, from there you can start the game.

The menu is already past the disc verification stage, and as the console believes you havtn changed discs, it will accept the game as being genuine.

I use it to play backups of my games (the originals are boxed and safe) all the time, and have a 100% success rate.

Hope this is of some use to you, and good luck.

17. blooyawn

blooyawn Guest

I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT

PLAYSTATION 2
    SUPER 7 E-17

I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT WHAT IT CAN DO

AND IS THERE A POSSIBILITY THAT I DOESN'T WORK
    OR IS IT JUST REALLY GREAT, THANK.

CAUSE ID LIKE TO WATCH MOVIE FROM THE USB AND FROM ''BURNED'' DVD

PLEASE REPLY, THANK !

Miku01 likes this.
  18. quedee

quedee Member

hi i have ps2 slim with modchip super 7 e17.. ive finally played a dvd movie on my console..

1. turn on the console..
    2. put the dvd movie
    3. press "reset" three times rapidly...

maybe this method can also load a ps1 or ps2 back-ups.. i guess...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  19. uzayr

uzayr Member

I also have super 7 and im not able to play ps1 games!!

Miku01 likes this.
  20. Miku01

Miku01 Newbie

Hi!
    I am also using a super-7 modchip on my ps2 and also looking for more info about it. Currently, my findings suggest that this modchip only allows booting of backup or bootleg discs for ps1 and ps2. It appears that you cannot run OPL directly with this modchip as it does not appear to have a menu like other modchips.

(I am still looking for more information but currently I could not find information about it and holding Triangle or triangle + circle button combinations does not work for me).

So here's what I found out so far:
    It controls what disc type is read by the ps2. It has 3 modes:

Mode 1: Play all kinds of PS2 games (Original, Bootleg, Backup):
    1. Open cover and insert any region PS2 disc.
    2. Close cover and press Reset button once to play.

Mode 2: Play all kinds of PS1 games (Original, Bootleg, Backup):
    1. Press Reset button, then when in Browse screen, open cover and insert any region PS1 disc.
    2. Close cover and press Reset button twice to play.

Mode 3: Play all kinds of CD/ DVD movies (Original, Bootleg, Backup):
    1. Press Reset button, then when in Browse screen, open cover and insert any region DVD.
    2. Close cover and press Reset button thrice to play.

Sleep mode function (turn off modchip = HAVEN'T TRIED FOR MYSELF but include it for sake):
    1. Holding Reset button from standby until picture display on TV then release.
    2. Open cover and insert original PS1/PS2 disc, press Reset button once to play.

(again if there are other functions of this chip that I haven't listed, I would like to know more. I hope this info helps.)

TLDR: Could not run homebrews using this specific modchip (Super-7) therefore you NEED other ways like FMCB, but runs any PS1, PS2, DVD well and region unlocks the ps2.