Problem Trying to restore video

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by boriscat, Dec 5, 2023.

1. boriscat

boriscat Member

I have an old DVD rip which has noticeable aliasing and is slightly fuzzy.
    I've tried messing with Handbrakes filters but nothing has improved it at all. I also tried VideoProc but while that raised the resolution somewhat, the aliasing problem and 'soft focus' remained.
    I also had a trial of Premiere Pro. I was only guessing at what I was doing, and when I exported 1 sequence did seem slightly smoother, but overall the aliasing and softness remained.
    I'm irritated because unlike pirates who download great quality MP4 files, I paid for the DVD and cannot get a decent image on screen.
    Can anyone help? Describe processes or software that can do what I want?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've tried to restore old digital video a number of times with limited success. I don't know of any freeware software that will do it well. DVDFab has a software Unifab, that they claim can do it, but I haven't tried it. They do have a trial version so maybe I'll give it a go to see how well it does.

https://www.dvdfab.cn/resource/video/video-restoration

3. boriscat

boriscat Member

Well I downloaded it to try and it says my trial period has ended lol

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I downloaded but was waiting to try it today. I needed to find a video to test it with, but since my trial period is over I might not get a chance.

Really Bad Form DVDFab/Unifab!

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You're allowed to process three videos before the trial expired. I took an old family video that was transferred from VHS and ran it through for my first try and I didn't see any visual improvement. Certainly nothing that would convince me to spend $79.99 on it. I'll try another video that is not quite so fussed out.

6. boriscat

boriscat Member

I uninstalled it and cleaned out the registry for any settings then reinstalled a fresh trial. It said my trial period had run out hahah so sod it, Unifab is out of the running.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I found an older family video that could use some improvement. I put it to maximum quality settings, and that was a little over 3 hours ago and it's only 34% done. Now my PC has a few years on it but it's a Ryzen 7 1700 8 core. Most of the processing is being sent to my GPU which is a Geoforce GTX 1650, using CUDA. At this rate it will probably be tomorrow before I find out it was all a waste of time. So until then! :D

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

After hours of processing the video completed and other than converting 480P to 1080P along with a massive file size increase, I didn't see anything that would convince me to drop $79.99 for Unifab. I've been looking for a way to improve older video quality for more than 3 years, and I have as of yet found a working solution. Perhaps I will get there with some of the new AI Tech, but at what cost.

To simply. Your best and most viable option is to either rip your DVD again and start over, or ideally obtain a BD copy of the movie and rip it for higher quality. DVD's have limitations that have become increasingly apparent with large HD screens.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Would you load a copy of the rip to an online website such as dropbox, wetransfer, etc. and share it to get a link and then post the link here just so we can see if we can do anything with it. Remember, it's a mp2 on disc but the source video might have been something lesser.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Since he's referring to a commercial video that he purchased, uploading it for others to download would be pirating, and he said this in his original post.

11. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Point well taken. On the other hand, he's apparently ripped it and, to me, that is pirating.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What does or doesn't constitute "Fair Use" is a long standing debate on AD. AD has always frowned on people who pirated TV shows or movies they've never purchased. When Sony first released the BetaMax they were sued in 1984 by TV companies (Universal) because it allowed people to record TV shows and movies they had no right to. The Court held that noncommercial home use recording of material broadcast over the public airwaves was a fair use of copyrighted works. A lot of people later contended that the notion of making backups of DVD's legally purchased was also Fair Use. Some European countries saw it that way and some didn't. In the end it went like this. If you legally own the original then even if it's not Fair Use, it was also not worth prosecuting, but copying it and spreading it online could lead to the FBI knocking at your door.

13. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I'm assuming the op is a windoze sheep.. so here is something rather good (and little known)

Needs a pretty decent rig to make it run properly. The dev is one of the old x265 team btw

https://github.com/Djdefrag/RealScaler

14. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Windoze Sheep?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

16. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Well y'know.. been so long I have forgotten how to do even simple things like find the system IP and crap like that..

Don't run it.. don't need it.. don't want it..

When I see the mess it is these days it's just outdated and slow.. garbage.

Enjoy being the corporate cash cow now as everything goes "cloud based subscription"..

spamming to test links.. palemoon is a pig of a gecko browser sometimes.. but firefox just doesn't work here for some unknown reason.. probably a script blocker or something

[​IMG]

17. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

The last 4 posts have nothing to do with the OP question. If there's no aid to that question, why post?

18. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Who made you a mod?

Maybe people post stuff to keep some activity on the site.. but if we aren't welcome.......................

19. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I knew I was going to be yelled at. I wonder what the OP has done with his video, editing wise.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Your last two posts have nothing to do with the OP's question, but that's okay because it at least keeps the thread and forum alive.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024 at 21:22