Windows 10 eeepc 900a

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by keebles, Oct 5, 2023.

1. keebles

keebles Regular member

I've been goofing around with windows 10 on my old eeepc 900a. I have upgraded it with a msata 120gb SSD, add 2gb ram. I managed to get windows 10 32bit installed on it. It runs decent, except networking sucks. It takes for ever to get any web browser to work. It will load really slow or hang up when trying to load a web page. Downloads take for ever, so does updates. Don't know of any fix that might speed it up.

Windows 10 32bit requirements are 1ghz processor and 1gb of ram. My eeepc has an Intel atom N270 processor running at 1.60gh and 2gb. I thought the eeepc would be able to squeak by and run windows 10. Any ideas on how to speed up web browsing ?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take a look in device manager for any missing/unknown drivers. was never designed for win 10 just xp. has 802.11b/g for wireless card, could disable & add non-usb 3 n adapter.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Under task manager check performance it will tell you whether cpu or ram are at 100%. A browser will chew through ram which is why it's most likely your having trouble. I suspect apart from cpu the ram will let you down as win 10 requires how much to run half decent. XP needed more than the min ram to run well it actually needed 512 just for the OS then another 512 for everything else

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
  4. keebles

keebles Regular member

cpu usage keeps jumping up and down from 4% to 56% and 55% memory. The app taking up the most is anti-malware service's executable at 101.1MB

5. keebles

keebles Regular member

Only unknown device is something called acpi Asus.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What are your systems stats, Windows version, and what browser do you use? Firefox for instance can use several hundred megabytes of RAM. More info will help us help you find your answer.

7. keebles

keebles Regular member

I am running windows 10 32bit single language( latest version). Eeepc 900a Intel atom n270 processor and 2gb ram. 120gb msata SSD. I am using edge browser ( built in). I have tried chrome, Firefox, opera, ect.

8. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

How are you connected to the internet- via modem to router or other?

9. keebles

keebles Regular member

Router. I have tried cat 5 and wifi same results. Even tethering is the same.

10. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Have you tried powering down you router, shutting down, re-powering your router about 3 minutes after shutdown and then booting? Where does the router get its signal?

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Notebooks generally have limited resources but they're configured to account for that but some recent Windows 10 updates seem to have made things worse. Let try this. In toolbar search type in "services" and then open the services app. When Services opens scroll down the list until you come to "Windows Modules." Double click it and then look for startup up type, disable it, apply it and then close it and see if that helps. This won't cause your notebook any harm. Then check to see if things are a little snappier.

12. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

In addition to that, he might go to Programs, Accessories, System Tools and run the Disk Cleanup on the C: drive and reboot. He might also try cleanup of his browsing history, cache etc., whatever the browser allows.

13. keebles

keebles Regular member

i have already disabled everything in start up that i could, its a fresh install in windows 10. I don't think the netbook can handle it. oh well, just trying to find a os that works on it. I think windows 10 was pushing it lol

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why not win 7 32bit?

15. keebles

keebles Regular member

Don't have a legit download link. Plus I want to have it activated so it doesn't nag me lol. I'm downloading bebain 11 right now to see how it works

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If your notebook came with a copy of Win7 32 bit, then you should have a sticker with a windows key on it somewhere. If you can locate the key then you can legally download a copy of Windows 7 and reinstall it. The important part is to make certain that you get the exact same OEM version that came installed with the unit. You will be asked to reactivate it but it can be done from your desktop hassle free.

Maybe you can find an ISO of your version here. The Internet Archive is a perfectly legal site for downloads.
    https://archive.org/details/win-7-ult-32-bit-iso

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  17. keebles

keebles Regular member

Wondering if I can get windows 10 iot installed on it? Would that be even possible?

18. keebles

keebles Regular member

I'm trying to find a light os to run

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  19. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

20. keebles

keebles Regular member

Thanks